Status: Full Time
Hours: Monday to Friday; 40 hours/week
Pay Band: I
Rate of Pay: $36.19 – $41.94
Posting Date: May 31, 2023
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Please be advised that according to Full Time Support Staff Collective
Agreement, Article 17.1, preference will be given to qualified employees
within the Full Time Support Staff bargaining unit, Appendix D (in the role
for six consecutive months) and RPT employees who have passed probation
at Mohawk College. Should a suitable candidate not be found, external
candidates will be considered.
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. We
are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive (EDI)
environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk College. We
believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve
should be reflected within our workforce. As educators, we believe it is
important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity,
diversity and inclusion in our community.
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for our next
The incumbent is responsible for providing maintenance, modification and
renovation for the College’s building automation systems, electrical, HVAC,
and fire systems and ensuring the systems’ safe and efficient operation to
maintain an uninterrupted, safe, and comfortable learning environment. It is
mandatory that the incumbent have a detailed knowledge of automated
building controls and must have successfully completed the apprenticeship
training program to become a licensed Air Conditioning and Refrigeration
Mechanic and/or Electrician.
The incumbent will work seamlessly with the Facility Services Management
Team and participate in all other general maintenance work requirements.
The incumbent must be familiar with gas-fired boiler systems, centrifugal
chillers, and various heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems. An
active gas fitter certification would benefit the position.
The duties of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Installation/maintenance/repair of electrical, HVAC, building
automation, and fire systems
• Performs wiring checkout, and system start-ups programming, utilizing
commissioning tools provided
• Graphics creation database management
• Aids in design, overall construction and installation, maintenance and
relation of HVAC/electrical and plumbing components as required.
• Maintains and repairs gas piping and associated appliances, i.e.
boilers, HWT tanks
• General maintenance involving carpentry, mechanics and electricity
• Monitors and schedules building automation systems, software and
• Other duties as assigned
The successful applicant must have the following:
• A minimum of five years of direct experience working with Building
Automation Systems (BAS)
• Certificate of Qualification as a Refrigeration/Air Conditioning Mechanic
License or Construction and Maintenance Electrician License
• A minimum of five years as a licensed Air Conditioning & Refrigeration
Mechanic or Construction & Maintenance Electrician, with related and
practical experience, preferably in industrial/educational environments.
• BAS programming
• Commissioning and start-ups
• Communication Protocols: BACnet, Modbus, TCP/IP, MSTP
• Good knowledge of building systems and relevant standards
• Proven diagnostic skills; able to systematically identify and resolve
• Self-motivated and calm under pressure; willing to communicate and
work through complex problems
• Fire Alarm and Protection Systems Certificate
• G-Gas license or equivalent
• Having a Building Environmental Systems certificate will be considered
• Full “G” class driver’s license for transportation to other campuses and
use of college vehicles
• Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights,
equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and
work effectively inter-culturally with diverse groups of students,
employees and the community
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With
this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free
recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment
process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 –
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and
especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women,
Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, S2LGBTQIA+ persons, and
others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please