cmcarthurKeymasterMay 1, 2023 at 1:43 pmPost count: 17
Power Bi – Self-Service Business Intelligence Tool
What is power BI?
Power BI is a collection of software services, apps, and connectors that work together to turn your unrelated sources of data into coherent, visually immersive, and interactive insights. Your data might be an Excel spreadsheet, or a collection of cloud-based and on-premises hybrid data warehouses. Power BI lets you easily connect to your data sources, visualize, and discover what is important, and share that with anyone you want.
The Parts of Power BI
Power BI consists of several elements that all work together, starting with these three basics:
· A Windows desktop application called Power BI Desktop.
· An online software as a service (SaaS) service called the Power BI service.
· Power BI Mobile apps for Windows, iOS, and Android devices.
How do I use Power BI at Algonquin College?
- · View equipment, work requests and preventative maintenance data
- · Analyze room categories and type data ex. classrooms, labs, meeting rooms
- · I belong to a Power BI User group – our group has grown to 73 volunteer members since its creation in Sept 2021
Please check out https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/ for more information
- This topic was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by cmcarthur.
Rich McEvoyKeymasterMay 1, 2023 at 4:23 pmPost count: 64
Thanks for sharing Colleen. Fanshawe Facilities has been using Qlik for many years to combine and visualize data in a similar way. I’m jealous of your user group – very impressive!
When looking at data this way, we often discover insights we didn’t set out to find. It’s very helpful for improving data integrity.
Phil RoubleKeymasterMay 4, 2023 at 6:31 pmPost count: 15
Thanks for sharing the tip, Colleen.
I have used Excel pivot tables for many years to comb through Excel tables and gain insights. I agree that data exploration and discovery this way can be very eye opening, enabling and fun!
I have been curious about PowerBI for some time now so thanks for pointing the way. I looked up a couple of short Youtube videos that also give a quick overview and sense of how it works:
- “Should You Learn Power Bi? Everything You Need To Know“. Leila Gharani, 9:06
- “How to Use Microsoft Power BI | Create Your First Dashboard Now (Practice Files included)“, Leila Gharani, 23:02
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.